Paige Cunningham, JD
- Interviewed by Christianity Today in December 2009 on whether or not Christian doctors should leave the AMA.
- Fulfilled two interviews in January with Moody Radio regarding general bioethics issues and one with the St. Louis Post Dispatch on embryo adoption.
- Completed interviews with the San Francisco Chronicle and Contra Costa Times in April on the issue of frozen embryos.
- Interviewed by both KGRH Radio and Moody Radio in May on synthetic biology.
- Guest lectured in June at this year’s Blackstone Legal Fellowship meeting held in Phoenix
- Taught CBHD’s Intensive PreConference Institute in July.
Hans Madueme, MD, PhD Candidate
- Nip & Tuck: A Parable” Dignitas 17(1) Spring 2009 and The Bioethics Podcast episode 126 served as the basis for Mollie Ziegler Hemmingway’s article, “Is Cosmetic Surgery Immoral? Even More Importantly: Why Do You Want to Know?” Christianity Today, March 2010, 56. Available electronically at http://www.christianitytoday.com/ ct/2010/march/18.56.html.
- Moody Radio interview regarding cosmetic surgery in April.
- Taught the Graduate Conference Wrap-Around Course during CBHD’s conference in July.
Michael Sleasman, PhD
- Interviewed regarding embryonic and adult stem cell research by Family News in Focus in May, 2010.
- Guest lectured in CBHD’s preconference institutes in July.
- Delivered a plenary entitled, “Virtual Paradise? Being Human in a World of Digitized Reality and Artificial Life” at CBHD’s July Conference.
- Taught “Bioethics and Moral Theology” as a CBHD postconference seminar in July.
CBHD hosted a special lecture by Nancy L. Jones, PhD on April 21st, entitled, “Talk to the Animals: Animal Experimentation, Research Ethics, and Human Goods.” The afternoon lecture was held on the Deerfield campus of Trinity International University.
On October 8th, CBHD along with Tennessee Center for Bioethics and Culture co-sponsored the 2nd Fall Foliage Dinner Discussion presented by Cabrini Institute, Inc. The event was held in the Radisson Hotel, Manchester, New Hampshire and focused on the topic of “Nutrition and Hydration at the End of Life.” CBHD Fellow, Gregory W. Rutecki, MD was one of the featured speakers. For more information on the event, please visit Cabrini Institute’s website at: http://www.cabriniinstitute.com/ Upcoming_Events.html.
MP3 CDs from our recent summer conference are available for sale on our website. Please visit www. cbhd.org/beyondtherapy-cd.
Conference attendees will receive a special discount offer by email.
CBHD continues to invest in our resource library, housed in the Center’s offices. We are providing a study center environment to facilitate collaborative and cutting-edge bioethics scholarship. Visiting scholars from Canada (Carina Majaesic, MD, PhD, FRCPC) and Australia (Sam Chan, MB BS, PhD) made use of these facilities during March and July. Recent improvements to the Resource Library included cataloguing the holdings in an online database, the creation of an archive of topical, legal, and historical print materials, and the addition of over 75 volumes and periodicals.